Household Rubbish Removal – How to Save Money
Looking to save money on rubbish removal?? Today we will share our best tips on how to save money and get the cheapest quote you can.
So what makes rubbish removal so expensive? Licensed waste carriers have to pay high costs to transport your waste and then dispose of it at licenced waste transfer stations, along with the usual day-to-day costs of running a business. There are also additional disposal costs if the waste is classed as hazardous as in the case of mattresses, fridges and electricals.
When quoting for rubbish removal, waste carriers will look at the volume and weight of the waste as well as how much time and labour it will take to load and dispose of everything. There may also be additional costs depending on the urgency of the job and whether you need an early morning, or late evening collection slot.
Our Tips on lowering the cost of rubbish removal
There are a few simple things that you can do that will help to save you money when looking for quotes for rubbish collection:
1) Keep the waste dry and covered from the elements - wet rubbish is heavier and the heavier the waste, the more disposal costs
2) Break down bulky waste beforehand - to save the waste collector time, it's best to break down the waste (i.e. cupboards, wardrobes, cabinets) as much as possible. It will also take up less space in the van, therefore resulting in a cheaper quote and collection
3) Be flexible with the time and date of the collection - rubbish clearance companies often charge extra on Sunday's or if a collection is taking place early in the morning or late in the evening. Companies will often reduce their costs if you opt for a collect when they are in your area next, so if you can wait, its often a great way save money.
4) Access - having your waste ready to be collected from an easily accessible location is a great money saver. Waste collectors have to quote for how much labour they think they will need to load your waste, so a pile of waste at the bottom of your garden will be a lot more expensive than a pile of rubbish on the side of your drive.
5) Can you help? - with larger bulky waste, the waste collector would usually quote for 2 of their team to load your waste. However, if you specify that you are physically able to help lift the waste to help load, they can then only charge you for the labour of 1 of their team, rather than two, saving you a small fortune!
It might sound obvious but its always best to be honest and upfront about the amount of waste there is to be removed and how difficult it is to load. Whist its only natural to want the cheapest price possible, by not being honest about the waste will only lead to issues later on. Most waste carriers will automatically charge extra for more waste than what was quoted for as well as an extra labour allowance if needed. Also, a lot of waste carries now charge a wasted call out fee which is charged if the collection, for whatever reason, doesn’t go ahead, so its best to be upfront about the collection from the beginning.
If you would like a quote from Yorjunk for a waste collection simply fill out our quote form here.